In a game that put Kemp out of the game because of an aggravated ham string and Ethier and Mattingley ejected for appealing a strikeout, the Dodgers were still able to put 11 runs on the board, beating the Rockies 11-5 after trailing by 3 in the 1st inning.
7 different Dodgers ended up with at least one hit, the bullpen was able to shut the Rockies down in the 7th, 8th, and 9th, and their defense dazzled. It was a bold, reassuring message that others on the team are stepping it up, and big. They were able to win without their manager and 2 of their stars, and with their undefeated 5th starter on the mound, Ted Lilly, who has been absolutely fantastic so far this season.
Keys to win:
- Another solid outing by Ted Lilly. Despite surrendering 3 runs in the top of the first on 4 straight hits, he was able to settle down and kept the game well within reach for the Dodgers. He went 6 1/3 innings and recorded his 5th win of the season- he has not recorded a loss yet.
- Bases clearing double by Bobby Abreu. Abreu came in on the double switch for Kemp, after he aggravated his ham string. The bases were loaded for him and he promptly hit one in the gap in left center making the game 5-4 after trailing by 2.
- 3 run homerun by the red-hot AJ Ellis. Later in the 5th, AJ came up with two men on and put it over the left-center field fence to make it 8-4.
- Van Slyke steals second, then goes to 3rd on a wild pitch, and then scores on Kennedy’s suicide squeeze and cashing in a much needed insurance run in the 7th, making it a 9-5 game. Then In the 8th inning, after 3 walks by the Rockies reliever Esmil Rogers, Van Slike came up and made the game 11-5 after a 2 RBI double.
- Ton Gwynn Jr. made an amazing diving catch in left center to save at least a lead-off double in the top of the 5th.
- Ethier and Mattingley got ejected after arguing Ethier’s stikeout in the 6th inning.
- Dodgers go 15-3 at home.
- With their win today, the Dodges have a 6 game lead over Giants in the NL West.
- Dodgers are first team to 23 wins.